Sunday, February 14, 2010

Web Browsers

I have been using Internet Explorer for several years and am quite comfortable with this product.  Now that I have access to both Internet Explorer and Firefox on my work computers, I am finding very little difference in basic operations.  Firefox has the advantage of easily importing my Internet Explorer bookmarks, which means that I can continue to easily access my favourite web sites.


I find myself requiring both browsers for my work.  Firefox can better handle pages such as http://www.locates.com.au/gps.html  which I use when indexing pictures for Picture Queensland.  On the other hand, Firefox has problems with email at http://au.yahoo.com/ (today it put an advertising image over the top of the field).  Firefox also has problems with http://sites.google.com which I use as an online location for notes and bookmarks.  In both the above examples, Internet Explorer handles the page layout much more successfully.  I therefore have to choose my browser according to what website I am seeking to use.

On my home computer I find that Internet Explorer meets all my requirements, although I have downloaded and experimented with the other three browsers.   Chrome and Safari both left me unimpressed.  Chrome did not automatically provide add ons required for the different sites I attempted to access, and Safari did not offer to import my Internet Explorer bookmarks. 

On my pocket computer I experimented with both Internet Explorer and with Opera.  Opera had the advantage of being able to access my home email which Internet Explorer is not able to do.  On the other hand Opera keeps zooming in and out when I don't want it to, which is really annoying.  I also do not like its "spinning" pages.  I am now using only Internet Explorer on my pocket computer.

I have glanced through the options in "Fashion your firefox" but they did not look very useful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment