Google Translate is a marvellous tool. I have used it in past months to translate sentences and paragraphs from other languages into English. It is very useful!
I can imagine that library clients could use Google Translate to translate English into their own language, or to translate their own language into English.
Google Books is quite fascinating. I searched on Puritans and found a book published in the 1700s complete with the letter "f" instead of "s".
iGoogle is fun. I created an iGoogle page some years ago and have enjoyed modifying it since. I have tabs for news, librarianship, Christian resources, and a home page with clock, calendar etc. Unfortunately, I very rarely look at iGoogle. I prefer resources that come into my email box.
Google Calendar is for me rather like iGoogle. I make active use of my Outlook calendar and the calendar in my pocket computer, but very rarely access my Google Calendar. I imagine that Google Calendar could be useful as a means of advertising upcoming events, and for sharing calendar information.
Google Maps is, in contrast to the above, a resource that I use constantly. I have it bookmarked on all my work computers as well as on my "Google Sites" page. It is my first port of call for finding locations. I also enjoy using street view if I am wanting to travel somewhere for the first time.
My problem with Google Maps is that sometimes on library computers it is very slow to load, or unable to load.
I have not yet found use for a personalised map.
My favourite Google resource (after Google itself) is Google Sites followed by Google Maps, followed by Google Docs. I have experimented with many other Google resources, but have not yet found real use for them.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment