Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wikis

Wikis have been familiar to me since I attended my first "Emerging Media and New Technology" session at slq, where they promote their Slq library 2.0: Emerging Media and New Technology Wiki.

I have since experimented with a wetpaint wiki and have added to an internal staff wiki.

It has been interesting browsing the various wikis listed under the heading "Discover" at http://licence2testdrive.blogspot.com/2009/04/test-drive-3-wikis.html. The ones which most interested me were:
  1. Possible Next Generation Catalogs which included a link to the State Library of Tasmania. The State Library of Tasmania's wiki was great. It was simple, clear, and full of great resources. I browsed their family history section and found great information about convicts, which is a topic about which I am frequently asked in my work at slq's Family History desk.

  2. Wookieepedia led me to a fascinating website about Star Wars. Not being a big Star Wars fan, I looked up a related wiki about Entertainment, which included Star Trek and my favourite Star Trek character, Data, and found a fascinating article at http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Data.

  3. I also enjoyed having a browse through the new-look wiki for slq's Emerging Media and New Technology sessions, and especially the list of Recommended Resources.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, as a real novice to wikis, your pointers are very helpful, will look in on the State Library of Tasmania's thank you.

    ReplyDelete